COBWEBS is a 1-5 player GM-less RPG that tells stories of reluctant investigators uncovering terrifying conspiracies and getting far more than they bargained for. It combines elements of noir, horror, and science fiction to create a uniquely haunting mystery built collaboratively. If you enjoy podcasts like Limetown and Tanis, comics like Mind MGMT, or movies like Under The Silver Lake and Mute-you're in the right place.
This game builds upon mechanics you know from games you already enjoy such as Lovecraftesque, Blades in the Dark, and The Hour Between Dog & Wolf while simultaneously bringing a new and novel experience to your table.
Cobwebs is designed by Adam Vass of World Champ Game Co. illustrated by Sally Cantirino, and published by Exalted Funeral.
Cobwebs works best with a group three players but comfortably supports one to five. Over the course of your game, each player takes turns inhabiting one of three shared roles:
- The Darling - our lone investigator. This person is far outside of their realm of comfort, but when a loved one goes missing and those tasked with finding them fail, they are resolved to take things into their own hands.
- The Shadow - an ensemble of friendly, suspicious, or dangerous characters who our Darling interacts with during their investigation. Some will help, others will hinder, but each one brings our investigator closer to peril.
- The Machine - the outsider tasked with assembling scenes, describing locations, and ramping up tension as danger draws near.
Each role has particular goals and randomized contextual setups in each scene as determined by dice rolls interacting with a beautiful cloth die-drop playmat.
Each player shapes the mystery in secretive ways, adapting and projecting various theories as you progress. The final result is the sum of the collective’s contributions to the story, and still a conclusion that no one person could have anticipated.
The digital edition of COBWEBS includes the following:
- Complete rule book, including 10 quickstart scenarios by a cast of amazing guest contributors: Cecil Howe, Banana Chan, Austin Knight, Fiona Maeve Geist, Nathan D. Paoletta, Suzanne Schenewerk, Linda H Codega, Jamila R. Nedjadi, and Alex Guerrero.
- Machine Automatica: an additional variant rules document for playing with 1-2 players developed by Samuel Mendez.
- Printable playmat for in-person play, you supply your own dice, tokens, and notecards.
- Printable rules reference cards for easier play.
- Digital assets of playmats, dice, and tokens for online play in your preferred platform.
- Access to a Google Slides project ready for online play, including die dropping and note taking, designed by Adam Bell
If you're interested in the physical edition which includes custom dice, tokens, and a screen printed cloth playmat, visit worldchamp.io/store or exaltedfuneral.com